Collection of Student Records
In this section, you’ll find information regarding:
- Registration Forms;
- Students’ Cumulative File;
- Student Medical Information;
- Critical Incidents and Investigations; and
- Video in School.
Boards of education (board) must take care to only collect or create information about students that is needed in order for the board to:
- provide appropriate educational programming for students and
- ensure that students are safe while in the care of the board.
This will include, but is not limited to, information about:
- identification of the student such as name, age, etc.;
- contact information for parents/guardians;
- previous educational experiences;
- disciplinary matters; and
- medical and psychological information relating to or affecting educational matters.
Virtually all information contained in all student records or files maintained by any employee of a board will fall within the definition of personal records under LAFOIP (see section 23 for the definition of personal information).